MIDDLETOWN, MIDDLESEX, CONNECTICUT
Incorporated as Mattabeseck in 1650
Named Middletown in 1653
Middletown is bounded on the north by Berlin, on the east by Cromwell, on the south by Haddam and Durham and on west by Middlefield and Meriden.
Chatham, Portland, Cromwell, Middlefield and a small piece of Berlin were once part of Middletown.
In 1767 Chatham (modern day East Hampton) was set off from Middletown.
Middlesex county was formed out of Middletown, Chatham, Haddam and East Haddam (which were then in Hartford county) and Saybrook and Killingworth (which were then part of New London county) in May 1785.
Postcard image, dated 1909, in the public domain
Send comments and corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org